Sunday, January 7, 2024

Homily - 1B Epiphany of the Lord (07 January 2024) Helping others to find Jesus

 


EPIPHANY OF THE LORD - Sunday Homily, Matthew 2:1-12, January 7, 2024 

1) STORY

One day John’s family asked me to go to the hospital to anoint him as John was very sick.  He was in Room 1 on the first floor.  Several weeks later around 8PM, I received a call from the family asking me to visit John as he was in a critical condition.  I immediately went to the hospital looking for John in Room 1 on the first floor.  To my great surprise, he was not there.  The nurse told me via an intercom to try the tenth floor.  I went to Room 1 on the tenth floor to discover it was a baby’s ward.  I was now lost with no phone and no family contact number.  Then my “star” appeared in the form of a nurse.  The nurse in the baby’s ward was willing to help me.  She guessed he was in Block C and we were in Block A.  She asked for permission to go through Block B to get to Block C where I finally found John. Thanks to her kindness.  She was my “star” leading me to my goal.

 

2) GOSPEL: MATTHEW 2:1-12

A) THE MAGI: The Magi, wise men from the East, were looking for the newborn king of the Jews.  They needed help to find the new king. 

B) THE STAR: “They saw his star and wanted to do him homage.”  The star led them to Bethlehem where they found the new born king of the Jews, Jesus.

 

3) APPLICATION TO LIFE

A) MODERN MAGI: There are many people searching for happiness, peace, a purpose in life and how to live a meaningful life.  Though they may not be aware of it, they are searching for God who alone can give them the desires of their heart. 

B) MODERN STARS: People need help to find God just as the Magi needed help to find Jesus, and I needed the help of a nurse to find John.  God has sent us to be like stars leading people to Jesus.  We do this by our kindness towards others, by our willingness to help them, and the example of living a good life.  We have the power and responsibility to lead others to Jesus.

 

4) CONCLUSION

Just as I needed a star to help me find John and the Magi needed the help of a star to find Jesus, so too, do those looking for peace, joy and happiness need help in their search for these precious gifts.  We are modern stars helping by leading them to Jesus who alone can give them peace, joy, and happiness.


Homily - 13B Sunday homily (30 June 2024) The cure of Jairus' daughter

  13B Sunday Homily, Mark 5:21-43, June 30, 2024 1. STORY A king loved his hunchback son very much and tried every method to have him ...