Friday, September 20, 2024

Homily - 24B Sunday homily (15 September 2024) Jesus asks "Who do people say that I am?"

 


24B, SUNDAY HOMILY, MARK 8:27-35, SEPTEMBER 15, 2024

1. STORY

One day while on vacation, I went to pick up my father at his workplace.  I got there a bit early and so had a chance to speak to the guard at the gate.  He spoke freely about the difficulties of his job often using vulgar words.  Suddenly he stopped and asked me if I was waiting for Mr. Vincent.  I said yes. Then he asked me if I was his son.  Again, I said yes.  Finally, he asked me if I was his son who was the priest.  Again, I said yes.  His face turned red.  He was embarrassed having used vulgar words in my presence.  He did not know who I was.  The people did not know who Jesus was.

 

2. GOSPEL, MARK 8:27-35

A. “WHO DO PEOPLE SAY THAT I AM?”

Jesus asked his disciples who people thought he was.  Most did not know.  It was only Peter who knew that he was the Christ. 

B. JESUS TAUGHT THE DISCIPLES THAT HE MUST SUFFER

Jesus taught them that he must suffer and die and after three days he would rise.  They were shocked at this news.  Peter reacted strongly against this news.  Jesus had to correct him.

 

3. APPLICATION TO LIFE

A. WE KNOW WHO JESUS IS

We are blessed knowing who Jesus is. 

i) Jesus is our SAVIOR who makes it possible for us to enjoy eternal life.  Only he was able to open the gates of heaven for us to enter. 

ii) Jesus is our TEACHER.  He teaches us about God’s love for us, how to live as adopted children of our heavenly father, and the difference between right and wrong. 

iii) Jesus is our DOCTOR.  He heals our wounds caused by our sins through the sacrament of confession.  He gives us the medicines to resist the many temptations in the world through the sacrament of the Eucharist. 

B. JEUS TEACHES US THAT WE MUST SUFFER

Jesus tells us we must carry our cross.  One way we can do this is by helping others as Jesus did.  Here are three suggestions as how to do this.

i) We must be willing to give some of our TIME to help others.  Just by listening to others, we help them.  We also get to know their difficulties and how it might be possible to solve their problems.  We tell them of the importance to pray and that God will give them the strength to carry their crosses.  We tell them of the importance of being persevering and not giving up.  Jesus is always with them.

 

4. CONCLUSION

The guard at the factory did not know I was a priest.  The people did not know who Jesus was.  Only Peter knew Jesus was the Christ, our savior.  We are blessed knowing that Jesus is our savior, our teacher, and our doctor.  We carry our cross by helping others by giving those in need our time, by listening to them, and by comforting them.


Homily - 27B Sunday homily (06 October 2024) God created marriage

  27B SUNDAY HOMILY, MARK 10:2-12, OCTOBER 6, 2024   1. STORY One day an unhappy wife visited a wise man for help to make a drink that...